Unauthorized entry to your home, office or business is a scary thought. With the right alarm system in place you will detect the intrusion and protect your home against burglary (theft) or property damage, as well as personal protection. Alarm systems used to rely on landlines for monitoring and it was popular for intruders to cut the lines before entering a property. These days, you can have the alarm linked to either your mobile phone or by internet connection. This means like your Wi-Fi your security system can be wireless and can be alerted to your mobile if the alarm sounds. You could also have cameras installed to monitor different areas of your home. With the right internet software, your home can be monitored in real time. This can be very re-assuring if your alarm sounds, it also allows you to check up on children and/or pets.
So how do you choose the right one for you? If you are looking for an Alarm system for your home there are some key points to take into account.
How many sensors do I need?
- The standard home usually consists of 3 Sensors. One to cover the front entrance of the home another the back/laundry door and a common corridor or living area.
- If you are looking to cover the garage you will need a keyfob (remote) to turn the alarm on/off when entering or leaving the area.
The difference between Sensors?
The 3 main sensors
- PIR ( passive infrared sensor) is an electronic sensor that measures infrared (Piro) light radiating from objects in its field of view. This is a standard sensor and are common in most homes or office environments. Being the cheapest and simplest detectors they can however not distinguish between animals, air-conditioners, heaters and sometimes wind currents. These sensors are very reliable in the right environment and have a low false alarm rate when installed correctly.
- QUAD works just like the PIR sensor but has 2 Piro’s instead of a single. Each Piro works simultaneously and are looking for any changes to the infra-red radiation in the area. Each Piro analyses the movement individually, only when they both provide the same detection is the alarm set off. These sensors are recommended in harder environments such as homes near train lines or heavy traffic, garages or sheds.
- Tri-Tech uses a higher technology for very harsh environments. These detectors use a normal Piro like the standard PIR to detect infra-red movement, but they also use a microwave transmitter to detect movement. Only when both detect an interference does the detector sound the alarm. These sensors are unaffected by air-conditioners, heaters and wind movements. The Tri-Tech can also distinguish between a genuine interference and your pet.
So now you should have an idea of how many sensors you need and the type of sensor best suited for your property.
Bosch Solution Models
- 844 Basic Kit that can have up to 4 wired zones. This model however can not have any remotes or mobile apps or any wireless PIRs added
- 880 Still a popular kit that can hold up to 8 wired zones plus an additional 8 wireless zones. A normal remote can be supplied or added to this kit
- 2000 Up to 8 wired zones and will support the mobile app and basic remote
- 3000 Our most popular kit. Up to 16 wired plus and/or 16 wireless zones. Will support either a Basic or normal remote plus the mobile app.
Keypad, Codepad, Touchscreen?
- Icon zones are identified numerically at the top of the screen. Notifications when zone is opened and when there is an alarm. Fire, medical and panic alarms. Single key arming of alarm system. Backlight illuminates keys day and night.
- Alphanumeric One of the easiest to use keypads on the market.
The LCD Alphanumeric keypad is large and displays the information allowing you to see the cause of alarm when triggered.
Zones can be named making it easy to use and program.
- Touch screen 5inch/7inch The Bosch Touch screen 5 or 7 inch high resolution new design will suit any décor.
The Touch Screen keypad also an optional built-in access card reader, and an SD card slot to store photos to use as screensavers.
A simple and Easy to use system, rename zones, arm/disarm panel, connect to Wi-Fi to install apps, plus much more
Landscape or portrait mounting.